Church of San Francesco in Piove di Sacco seems to date between 1225 and 1250, when St. Francis preached in the area of Padua.
In that church was created the fraternity of “SS. Crocifisso” and became so large that they decided to built at the church their new headquarter.
Around 1570 it was built next to St. Francis a church to which later was added an oratory. The convent and the first church were abolished in 1769 by the Serenissima and destroyed in 1853. Only the 15th-century school with the oratory stayed up and in memory of the previous buildings it’s called Church of St. Francis.
The facade is very simple and with the three tympanums reflects the interior layout with three aisle.
Inside, the roof of the aisle is composed by 44 wood panels.
The recent renovation of the church started also the refurbishment of the artworks inside of it. The most important works were the recovery of the wood ceiling with painted coffered and later, the recovery of two important unknown “taleri” hung from the ceiling.
Church of San Francesco, nearby:
- points of interest near Church of San Francesco (within 0.5-km)
- parkings near Church of San Francesco
- other nearby churches
Address & Contact
Via Ansedisio Piove di Sacco